It seems we can encounter a bit of a minefield when shopping for healthy snacks, constantly being provided with misleading claims hidden in a coating of excess sugar, salt and fat. The trick is knowing how to detect this set of naughties and instead, choose foods that will provide you with the necessary nutrients to keep your energy levels up in between meals.
It's important to get the right balance of protein, healthy fats, fruit and vegetables - so to help you, here are a few of my top favourite picks:
- 2 organic brown rice crackers with 2tbsp nut butter (try and avoid peanut butter as its high in saturated fat)
- 2 organic brown rice crackers topped with half an avocado and a sprinkle of chilli/cayenne pepper
- Carrot and celery sticks with 2tbsp organic full fat hummus/2 tbsp nut butter
- Glass of green juice (recipe on STRIP'D)
- 2 protein balls (recipe on STRIP'D)
- 1 boiled egg with some steamed greens
- 1 organic apple/mixed berries with a handful of almonds
- 1 small pot of organic, full fat yoghurt/Coyo yoghurt with a sprinkle of cinnamon topped with berries
- Glass of organic almond/filtered coconut milk with 2tsp cacao and a sprinkle of cinnamon
There should be enough options here for you to try out in the next few days, so see how you get on. Remember, it's always a better choice to make your own snacks rather than buy them pre made from the store - this way you know exactly what's in them.