Ok, I may of hit a bit of a break through here. I am proud to announce that I have discovered a recipe for 100% health approved chocolate brownies, yes you heard, HEALTH APPROVED. Dairy free, refined sugar free, gluten free and most importantly, GUILT FREE. So, before you go running back to that box of Betty Crocker's, give these little squares of goodness a go.
You'd think that by taking away the sugar, white flour, butter and eggs - these brownies would be left dry and tasteless. But, with some help from a few medjool dates, a couple of sweet potatoes and helping of buckwheat flour - they'll be sure to satisfy that sweet tooth of yours.
(Makes about 10 brownies)
2 large sweet potatoes
2/3 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
14 fresh medjool dates
4 tablespoons of raw cacoa
3 tablespoons of raw honey/100% maple syrup
a pinch of sea salt
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut into chunks and place in a steamer for about 20 minutes
- Once the sweet potatoes are completely soft, place in the food processor with the dates and blend.
- In a separate bowl, add the remaining ingredients. Gradually, stir in the sweet potato and date mixture.
- Pop the mixture into a lined baking dish and cook for about 20 minutes (or until you can pierce the mixture and the knife comes out dry).
- Remove the tray from the oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Next, remove the brownies from the tray (using the baking parchment to help you), and let cool for a further 10 minutes. This is really important to prevent the brownies from falling apart!
- Once completely cool, cut into squares and serve.